The town was founded in 1946, when the then President Rafael Leonidas Trujillo ordered that the poor inhabitants of Santo Domingo were relocated as peasants and fishermen. Las Terrenas was then a small fishing village isolated from the rest of the country: the track that linked it to Sanchez (asphalted only since 1989), was impracticable, and getting to this community was an adventure. There was also no electricity, which arrived in 1994. But it was worth it, the paradisiacal beauty of the place motivated more than one to make the effort, and little by little, Europeans of other nationalities came to try a bit of paradise. Over the years the calm village developed, and old fishermen’s huts have been slowly transformed into bars, restaurants and shops. The beauty of the place, the almost perfect coexistence between the different nationalities (French, Italian, German, Swiss, Canadian, American, Spanish, Latin and Dominican), contributed to turn Las Terrenas into the seat of national events. Today, Las Terrenas can equally please those who want to share family holidays and those who want to celebrate with friends, sports and those who want to rest, with many activities to do. Samaná was a famous port of slave trade for the English in the early 17th century. Today, the people of these provinces are a combination of Taino, Spanish, Antillean and African slaves. The name Las Terrenas originates from the French La terrienne (The landowner).